Monday 1 March 2010

Goodbye Africa

I just looked up theweather for tomorrow in London...sunny yes, but a maximum temperature of 7degrees??? What does that even feel like!?

I'm currently whiling away my last day in Africa. I've been at the waterfront in CapeTown listening to a marimba band and eating lunch, bought with the last of my Rand! The last couple of weeks have been amazing. We've tried surfing (and failed!), been for beautiful coastal walks, spent a day wine tasting (we went to 4 vineyards... I was ready to stop after the first... luckily the 2nd had cheese!), cuddled a cheetah, seen wild penguins and have this week been exploring Cape Town. As EVERYBODY we've met in South Africa has warned us, we fell in love with the place, helped enormously by the huge generosity of some friends of Rebecca who live here who have had Andy and I to stay all week. They feel like family already and the week has flown by much too fast. A highlight for me was seeing the Soweto Gospel Choir perform in Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens as the sun set over the impressive table mountain behind the stage. Such an awesome atmosphere.

So, today I leave this amazing continent and the beautiful sunshine to return to cold England. I don't really feel ready to leave Africa but I'm not sure I ever would be. I am however really looking forward to catching up with a lot of people who I've missed enormously over the last 4 months. It's been an incredible experience and I'm so grateful for the oppurtunity. I'll be kept busy when I get home, catching up with not only friends and family but with EWB-UK work and starting the next phase of my adventure (life!) which is an internship with RedR, an international charity providing engineers in response to disasters all over the world. I'll be working with the water and sanitation cluster programme for 6 months in London.

I guess this is the last post on this blog... unless I return to Mozambique one day!! Thanks for reading, I hope you've learnt something new! God Bless, Joanne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yasmin side effects